Governance & Accountability: Meeting Management - Open and Public Meetings
Page 2 of 9
Open and Public Meetings (Utah Code 52-4)
Open meetings consist of the following:
- When the majority of a governing board, including CDs, meets to discuss or act upon a matter for which they have responsibility.
- Includes workshops and executive sessions
- Does not include chance meetings and social meetings
- A portion of an open meeting at which members of the public are provided reasonable opportunity to comment on the subject of the hearing.
- Required when a CD adopts a budget.
- Meeting called to discuss an urgent matter due to unforeseen circumstances.
- Give the best notice practicable of the time, place and topics to be considered.
- Attempt to contact all board members.
- A majority of the board members must approve the meeting.